Friday, April 18, 2008

A Lesson on Worry

I watched the chapter three webcast yesterday, and was inspired to write the following blog on my personal blog site. Since it was about the book I decided to copy it here. How is everyone else coming along with the book?

>>>

"Worry pretends to be necessary, but doesn't really serve any useful purpose." Eckhart Tolle

This is something I have always understood on some level, but have forgotten at times. I remember even as a young person trying to tell people that worrying doesn't do any good for them, that they need to let go of the attachment and deal with whatever is going to happen when it happens.

I have found that as I have gotten older I have experienced many of the things which create worry in us and seem to extinguish that happy-go-lucky vibe that is present in abundance as a child, and make us feel and appear much older than we are. Those experiences have caused me to lose that wonderful part of myself, at least to some extent.

However, in this recognition, I am finding and appreciating that part of myself and am in constant practice of it now. It feels good.

2 comments:

Sondra said...

This was a good reminder for me too. Seems that some of the simple statements he makes are things we know but can forget at times. As for me worrying doesn't get me anything but a stomachache.

I forget what chapter I'm at but around 5 I believe. There are parts that I don't agree with the author at all and I end up dragging my heels as I read through but there are also things that spark for me and I end up rereading it or taking it in slowly.

So because of these things, this book in general has been a much slower read for me then most other books, but a good one.

Dev said...

Definitely a slower read for me as well. I'm trying to savor each chapter as I go. Also, keeping up with the webcasts has been difficult too. But not in a bad way. I'm kind of glad that it's taking me so long to get through this book, because I'm much more likely to forget everything if I rush through it!